Happy Sunday Friends! Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have the biggest sweet tooth for anything that involves smores or a peanut butter chocolate combo. One of my favorite treats that Jack makes are his Campfire Cookies, there’s nothing better than being able to enjoy a chocolate chip cookie and a smores all in one bite. Anytime we have dinner with friends or family, this is the #1 treat they always ask Jack to bring. Needless to say, I’d be doing you a disservice by not sharing the recipe. It’s such a simple and easy recipe that requires few ingredients. This is the perfect dessert to bring to Thanksgiving or your next family gathering. Let’s get baking!! (this recipe was inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction)
- 1.5 sticks softened, unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (at room temp)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 regular marshmallows (cut in half)
- chocolate bar of your choice
- 1/3 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs
- Begin my prepping the smores ingredients. Cut 12 marshmallows in half and set aside.
- Take 2-3 sheets of honey graham crackers, crush them into crumbs, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until creamy (2 minutes on medium speed). Combine the egg and vanilla into the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. pour the combined dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and beat on low speed. Add in the chocolate chips to the mixture and beat on low speed.
- *Important step* cover the mixture with saran wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Remove dough from chilling and set aside for 10 minutes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop 1.5 tablespoons for each ball of dough
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove cookies from the oven (will look slightly underdone)
- Turn the oven on to high broil
- Place each 1/2 marshmallow onto cookie (sticky side down)
- Broil cookies for 1 -2 minutes until cookies appear golden brown and the marshmallow is toasted
- Set aside the cookies to cool for 2 minutes
- Place 1 -2 squares of chocolate bar onto marshmallows (allow to melt for 1 minute)
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbles on top of the cookies (they will stick to the melted chocolate)